Everyday In May - Day Eighteen...

8:52 PM


This year, I have made some decisions about my diet.
For the last 5 years, my diet has been tweaked constantly due to experiencing digestive disturbances and ill health. My diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome three years ago kind of explained these ailments I was having as most of my symptoms were indicative of these conditions. They just had to rule out every other more sinister possibility first before setting the diagnosis in stone.

Ever since then, I have had to become quite tuned in to my body and what it wants, needs and can handle.
Diet-wise, I have taken a process of elimination, determining what I need to cut out, decrease intake of, or add in.
It's still a work in progress but I have a pretty fair idea now what I can and can't handle.

I have cut down gluten intake quite significantly. I don't have coeliac disease but may have some kind of intolerance. It's quite hit and miss. Most days I just go completely gluten free and other times I can chance one serving and I'm ok.

I have switched to soy or almond milk in my hot beverages as I wanted to decrease lactose intake. I still eat a small amount of cheese and greek yoghurt. If I have cereal, I use rice milk.

This year, I decided to cut out red meat. I still eat chicken and fish, predominantly tuna and salmon, but I'm steering clear of steak and the like as it makes me feel bloated and heavy in the gut and I just don't enjoy it so why eat it, right?!! Having said that, when it is most convenient for the other members of my family, I will very occasionally eat meatballs or a super small serving of spag bog (gluten free pasta of course).
But otherwise, I avoid red meat.

I have converted from ordinary flour to using Spelt flour for any baking. It is more gentle to the stomach so is much kinder to my digestive system.

I thought that I would share my most favourite GO-TO dishes for each meal.

BREAKFAST

For my morning meal, my most common choices are between the following three choices:

Quinoa Porridge
I use the recipe from the e-book A Nourishing Kitchen via A Holistic Ingredient website.
I cook that up and then pile it up with a sprinkle of Raw Breakfast Powder, greek yoghurt, banana, strawberries, walnuts and goji berries.

Gluten Free Weetbix
I eat this sprinkled with the same Raw Breakfast Powder mentioned above, banana, strawberries, rice milk and goji berries.

Poached Eggs with Smoked Salmon and Avocado
I serve these on a piece of gluten free toast with cottage cheese and some spinach leaves.

**I find having a generous breakfast sets me up for the day and I really only need fairly light meals for the rest of the day.**



LUNCH

Rice Cakes
I usually eat these with mashed egg and avocado OR cheese and vegemite.

Pan-Fried Tuna with Salad
I like to marinade my tuna steak for an hour or so before cooking.
Marinade: peanut oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, sriracha sauce, ginger, italian parsley, and lime juice.
You can see two fellas from my most favourite music group, The Tenors, making this dish HERE.
It's a quick and simple meal and not heavy...just filling enough to make you feel satisfied.


Tofu Stir-Fry
I usually marinade the cubed tofu in soy sauce, honey, and dijon mustard.
Basically, I cook that in a pan, add stir-fry veggies and it's done!!

DINNER
This meal can vary every night, depending on what we have in the fridge or what we feel like eating.
But my favourite dishes to have are...

Salmon
My most popular way of cooking salmon fillets, is to wrap each one in some foil with a light drizzling of Mediterranean Olive Oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a sprinkling of Himalayan salt. Pop it in the oven for about 15 mins and nom nom nom.
I usually serve it with a side of veggies or salad.



Veggie Spaghetti OR Pearl Couscous
So all I do here is add a selection of different chopped up veggies to a pan with a scoop of coconut oil. The vegetables I usually use are: carrot, capsicum, asparagus, squash, zucchini, spring onion.
I cook up the gluten-free pasta OR the pearl couscous as per packet instructions.
Add in the vegies, and either some sliced kalamata olives or capers, sometimes some tomatoes, and sprinkle with Italian parsley - and again...nom nom nom!
(Sometimes I'll serve this as a small side to the salmon fillets).



Chickpea or Quinoa patty with salad
This a nice, quick meal. Make a salad and fry the patty in the pan - there's ya meal.

_________________________________________________________

So there you have it folks.
My journey with food and it's relation to my health and wellbeing.

And if you're wondering what you call my 'sort-of' vegetarian style diet now, I looked it up. 
Cos I was curious to see if it had a name...and it does.
Check out this article - apparently it's referred to as:
semi-vegetarian
because I don't eat red meat but eat poultry, fish, dairy products and eggs.

Anyway, THANK YOU for dropping by and reading through my ramblings!

With Sprinkles of Sunshine...

Anna

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images